Sunday 24 June 2012

back to 2 shoes!

After 9 long weeks my appointment to see the consultant came around finally! I went to the hospital on Thursday and had an xray and then had the cast removed, my appointment this time was not with Mr Shah sadly, who was my surgeon and has been my consultant on my 2 previous visits to the Fracture Clinic. I saw a different consultant this time, in fact I don't even know his name! He was very pleasant though and showed me my xrays, which I hadn't seen since being in Plymouth hospital.  He explained about the healing  and physio and asked if I had any questions, I asked about timescale to get back to normal, but he explained everyone varies. I go back in 3 months time, at which point he explained I should be back to normal activity.  But what is normal activity? For me that means running 2-3 times a week, which I doubt!  I also wanted to know how often physio would be.  Once a week on the NHS unfortunately! Not a lot really!

When I first tried to walk on my newly released leg, I couldn't put my heel down so was walking on the ball of my foot, and was told to use crutches again until I readjusted.  As soon as I got home I got straight in the bath to exfoliate and soak off the unbelievable amounts of dry skin which was peeling off in sheets all around my ankle and foot. Not to mention the hair that had grown, in fact I have some ingrowing hair follicles as the hair was obviously struggling to break through with a cast on, horrible!

I went straight to Nuffield Health & Leisure centre from the hospital and booked into their 2 month health & physio programme which gives me 5 physio sessions plus gym membership.  The physio may take place in the pool or gym so should be quite varied.  It will be interesting to compare NHS to private treatment!  I will get a contribution to the Nuffield physio package from my employer health plan, so that's  a bit of a bonus.

I am now limping around the house with no crutches and doing the basic exercises that the NHS gave me , 3-4 times a day and trying to walk on it and put it through its full range of movement (with pain!).  Its pretty much painful all the time and also swollen all the time, and I also need to keep elevating it as I did in the first 4 weeks.

I am very impatient and want to see instant improvement but I know now that this is going to take time, to repair the soft tissue, stabilise the bone and metal work and reduce the pain and swelling.

I know a few things for sure, no running or heels for a long long time, if ever....


9 comments:

  1. Hi trayjkay
    I hope you are feeling much much better
    I live in cornwall and had bimalleolar # 2 weeks ago
    I have read your blog and very much inspired by your will power. My email is
    Akhoond2003@hotmail.com
    If you donot mind i have few queries to make
    Best wishes
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you now? Are you back to running? I also triple fractured my ankle. Is the extra physio worth it?

    Cheers
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi tom, been advised against ever running again, how about you? How are you now as you posted this ages ago!! I am cycling now instead

      Delete
  3. I triple-broke my left ankle on Nov 9; after almost a fortnight in hospital due to inadequate elevation plus fracture blisters I've had the same procedure as you, it seems.

    My first appt at the fracture clinic is this Wed and my imagination's running riot with all sorts of horrible images and thoughts of what's lurking beneath this super-heavy cast. Also about what happens next.

    I was so happy to find your writing with its wonderful, matter of fact, calming tone - because inside I'm getting kind of squeaky about it all.

    I hope you don't mind but this blog might well become a lifeline! Sorry to sound so wobbly - it's because I am!

    Shell

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops .. just realised it's been awhile since you last posted, Tracey - so maybe you're all recovered now! I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How are you doing now, I am now 16 months on and have made a very good recovery, no more running but I am road biking 20-30 miles and in the gym a lot!

      Delete
  5. hi! i also had a trimalleolar fracture last december 29, 2012 and now (february 6, 2013) i am out of my cast already. i was just wondering how long will it take for me to finally walk again? my injured leg and calf shrank in size because i do not use it often. what are your suggestions? thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry I havent checked my blog for ages, how are you doing now, its a few months since you posted this, how has your recovery been? i am cycling and doing lots of weight bearing and balance stuff at gym now

      Delete
  6. Hi, I wonder if you still check this. I had a very similar episode, also falling down in the most silly way on a muddy terrain. And yeah, 3 fracture due to dislocated foot. I am now 2.5 wks from surgery and I would like to contact you. Would you be so kind to email me here: marina.gimenez@gmail.com
    I know it is a lot to ask but I would love to share my story with you and get some positive feedback, it is not easy to find positive stories out there. Thanks in advance. Kind regards, Marina.

    ReplyDelete